Your Faultless Guide To A Modern Father's Day
Dads today are more than just "the heads of the house" – they're gourmet cooks, active family men, travel fanatics, and staycation lovers just like us! In influencer Brianne Manz's words, "the millennial dad likes to be pampered, goes to brunch, and has a little rosé with his BBQ." So this Father's Day, let's give our modern dads the cool, swanky celebration they deserve.
For The Brunch Fanatic
As Brianne Manz, former fashion show room owner and now mommy behind Stroller in the City, would say, brunch these days is not just for moms and city gals. Dads like to eat – and drink – too! This June 18th, take your dad out to Center Bar for some inspiring and exotic bites by Chef/Owner Michael Lomonaco. The curated menu features mouthwatering dishes such as Roasted Mayan Prawns, Duck Confit-Kale Salad, and Charred Wagu Beef.
Or if you're feeling chic and boozy, swing by Landmarc for their signature burger and rosé punch!
For The Super-Chef
For the dad who likes to cook, help him get creative away from the grill with a pizza stone or pasta maker from Williams Sonoma. He will LOVE it, and so will you when you get to taste his yummy creations.
For the Busy Traveler
Whether dad is traveling for business, leisure, or, these days, bleisure, make sure he travels in style with a modern, durable backpack from Tumi. Briefcases and computer bags are so yesterday, and he’ll appreciate the comfort while being stylish. If dad already has his favorite travel bag, try quiet comfort wireless headphones – brining him closer to the music he loves – from Bose for his next trip.
For The Carnivore
Nothing says Father’s Day like a perfectly cooked steak. Chef Ken Frank of Michelin-starred La Toque in The Westin Verasa Napa has mastered the art, and has offered us newbies his expert tips on making this day extra memorable for Dad.
1. Start with a thick cut steak to serve at least two. With a thick steak you can have it all, a nice tasty sear on the outside and big fat juicy pink center on every slice.
2. If possible, begin with a room temperature steak. Starting with an ice cold steak is not ideal.
3. Ignore all advice about lean or “healthy” meat. There are plenty of low fat opportunities in life; steak is not one of them.Marbling (fat) is your friend, the key to tenderness and flavor.
4. The only seasoning you need is salt and pepper. Use plenty, and season the meat just as you start to cook it, not before. If you salt it too early it will start to “cure” and draw moisture from the meat! Never marinate a piece of meat unless you want it to taste like salad dressing.
5. For perfect flavor, sear the meat on all sides over very high heat until a dark rich brown color; avoiding char. I recommend searing it in a pan with a little oil, or on a really hot grill with a heavy grate. BBQ grills with thin wire grates will never produce a good sear.
6. Rest. The single biggest factor in a perfect tender juicy piece of meat, from single steak to a 25 pound Turkey, is rest. The general rule of thumb for rest time is 50% of the cook time. Once you have a good understanding of this concept and a little practice, you will nail meat every time. Standing the meat on its edge guarantees it doesn’t continue to stew in its own juices. The temperature of the meat will even out from the edge to the center.
7. With a thick steak I find the best thing to do is actually sear it, let it rest and then warm it back up in a hot oven for a few minutes. Slice and serve!
For The Well-Groomed Gentleman
Help dad put his best face forward with the freshest shaving kits out there. Man Crates has just released four new grooming crates just in time for dad's big day. Joining the roster are the Smooth Face Mini Crate, The Clean Shave Crate, The Beard Wrangler Mini Crate and Straight Edge Shaving Kit. All kits are packed in the signature wooden Man Crates box that requires the recipient to pry it open with a crowbar – like the burly man he is! (?)
For The Dapper Dad
Only for this joyous occasion, The Gregory Hotel – Manhattan's most fashionable boutique hotel – has partnered with General Knot & Co., a local designer of sharp neckwear and accessories made from vintage textiles. Together, they have managed to make magic in the form of a one-of-a-kind Father’s Day Travel Gift Package for all those dashing dads out there.
This elegant package includes:
- General Knot & Co. bow or neck tie (SRP $58-$98)
- Chic haircut at Haircraft by Ray (regularly priced at $65) located within The Gregory Hotel
- Father's Day cocktail from The Liquor Cabinet newly revamped lobby bar
- Offer is subject to availability for Father's Day week from June 16-24, 2017
- Booking Rates starting at $359 – book directly using this link