Halloween In NYC: Places To Go, Drinks To Drink!
New Yorkers do everything at the last minute – including Halloween, it seems! This weekend, be sure to spend your nights sipping on the spookiest drinks in town at the swankiest local hotspots. Check out our list of cocktails, lounges, party venues and recipes, and put on that superwoman mask for a Halloweekend you'll never forget.
WHAT TO DRINK
Mutant Mary’s by Andrea Correale at Elegant Affairs
- 3 eyeball ice cubes
- 2 oz. vodka
- 8 oz. mix
- 1 Jar Green Olives
- 1/4 c. tomato juice
- Pinch horseradish
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire
- 4 dashes hot sauce (Tabasco, Tapatío hot sauce, etc.)
- 1 lemon, fresh squeezed
- Black pepper & celery salt to taste
Eyeball Ice Cubes:
Remove green olives with pimento from a jar. Replace pimentos with black olive slices and place in ice cube trays to freeze in ice.
Directions: Pour Bloody mix and vodka over eyeball ice cubes.
Sparkling Pumpkin Spice Cocktail by Sparkling Ice
- 2 oz honey whiskey
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 4 oz Sparkling Ice Crisp Apple
- Whipped cream
- Pumpkin pie spice
Directions: Pour whiskey, lemon juice, and pumpkin puree into a cocktail shaker with the ice and shake. Strain into a rocks glass and float with Sparkling Ice Crisp Apple. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
Adrenaline Shot by Andrea Correale at Elegant Affairs
- 1 oz. White Rum
- 1 oz. Vanilla Vodka
- 1 oz. Chambord
- 1 oz. Cranberry Juice
Directions: Combine all ingredients into shaker. Shake till chilled. Serve in faux syringes.
Orange Cinnamon Blossom Wine at Santa Margherita
- 1 bottle of Santa Margherita Prosecco Superiore DOCG
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 orange
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 whole allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Directions: Rinse lemon and orange and thinly slice them, discarding seeds; quarter the orange slices. Put fruit in a 4- to 5-quart pan. Add honey, sugar (use the smaller amount if you prefer drinks on the tart side, the larger if you want a sweeter flavor), cloves and allspice. With a knife, cut the cinnamon sticks lengthwise into thinner strips. Add cinnamon and 2 cups water to pan; bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes. Pour Santa Margherita Prosecco Superiore DOCG into hot citrus base and heat until steaming, about 8 minutes. Keep warm over low heat. Ladle into heatproof cups or wineglasses.
The Wizard of Oz by Nelson Lemus at Cantina Rooftop
- 1 oz jalapeño infused cazadores tequila blanco
- 3/4 oz Tequila Cazadores Reposado
- 3/4oz pomegranate cordial
- 1 oz pineapple juice
- 1/2oz Rosemary syrup
- 1 oz lemon juice
Directions: Combine and shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a glass. Cheers!
Chilled Vampire Shooters by Andrea Correale at Elegant Affairs
- Citrus Vodka
- Rose’s lime juice
- Lemon for garnish
Instructions: Pour chilled citrus vodka into shot glass. Add splash of grenadine and roses lime. Garnish with lemon.
Dark And Stormy at Brooklyn Crafted
- 1 oz good light rum (Appleton)
- 5 oz Brooklyn Crafted Extra Spicy Ginger Beer
- 1 oz good dark rum (Meyers)
Directions: In an 8oz glass with ice, combine your light rum and Brooklyn Crafted Extra Spicy Ginger Beer. When mixed, float your dark rum on top, garnish with a lemon or lime wedge and enjoy!
Bloody Mary Test Tubes by Andrea Correale at Elegant Affairs
- Tito’s Vodka
- Fresh lemon juice
- Bloody Marry Mix
- Blue Cheese stuffed olive
Directions: Insert one Blue Cheese stuffed olive in bottom of the test tube. Drizzle Bloody Mary Mix & Tito’s Vodka inside of test tubes. Add Siracha to tubes for extra spice.
TRICK OR TREAT
Prosecco Gummies by Cody Goldstein at @MuddingMemories
- 1 Cup Maschio Extra Dry Prosecco
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons or 6 packets gelatin
- 2-3 Wine Bottle (or gummy bear if you’d prefer) molds
- 1 cup cranberry juice for color and flavor
- Place the wine, sugar, cranberry and gelatin in a saucepan over medium low heat (if you want to keep the alcohol in, make sure to keep under 90 degrees). Whisk for 2-3 minutes or until sugar and gelatin have dissolved. (Stir in a little pink food coloring if making Rosé gummy bears)
- Using a glass measuring cup with a spout, pour the mixture over the molds . Use an offset spatula to get rid of the excess and ensure all the molds are filled.
- Refrigerate for at least 90 minutes.
- When gelatin has set, bears will easily pop out from mold.
- Store uneaten wine gummy bears in an airtight container in the refrigerator
Lambrusco Peanut Butter Cups by Cody Goldstein at @MuddingMemories
- 1 cup Banfi Riunite Lambrusco
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, split in half cup measurements
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Edible gold leaf
- Combine 1/2 cup peanut butter, confectioners' sugar, wine, butter and salt until smooth.
- In microwave, melt chocolate chips and remaining peanut butter; stir until smooth.
- Drop teaspoons of chocolate mixture into paper-lined miniature muffin cups. Drop a scant teaspoonful of peanut butter mixture into each cup; top with another teaspoonful of chocolate mixture. Add 1 cranberry to top. Dip peanut butter cup into gold leaf foil. Refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Sangria Lollipops by Cody Goldstein at @MuddingMemories
- 1 1/2 cups Banfi Riunite Sangria
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 12 Lollipop sticks
- Gold luster dust *optional\
- Bring Sangria to a simmer in saucepan. Simmer wine until reduced to about 1/3 cup. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- In medium saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and wine reduction. Stir until combined. Boil until candy temperature registers 305 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and fill greased lollipop molds with the liquid. Place lollipop sticks in.
- Allow the lollipops to harden completely.
- Add luster dust if desired and store between sheets of parchment in an airtight container
WHERE TO BE
Loco Monday's at Bodegra Negra - 10/30, starts at 10:30pm
Get spooky at Bodega Negra's favorite Monday night Mexican dinner party on 10/30. The boozy weekly suppers held at the Dream Downtown hotel venue, are spiked with edgy touches such as fire-breathers, and burlesque performers. Participate in the annual costume contest and win some loco prizes! Plus, be sure to try their special Halloween desserts and cocktails! Chocolate, ice cream, tequila, oh my!
Dia de los Muertos at Street Taco - 10/28-11/2
Street Taco is going all out for Day of the Dead, offering food and beverage specials throughout the week, plus one big night full of deadly fun over the weekend.
On Saturday Oct. 28th, enjoy the hot venue's colorful decorations, celebrity DJ and costume night. Plus, until November 2, savor their spooky – yet very yummy – menu featuring Mexican food specials and drinks. From the bar, we recommend the Blood Orange Margarita ($8) and Witches Brew Sangria ($6).
Zombie Prom at Mr. Purple - 10/27, starts at 10pm
there's no doubt Mr. Purple's annual Zombie Prom is the hottest spot to be at on Halloween night in NYC. On Friday, October 27th at 10pm, bring your deadliest, classiest look and dance all night to the sick beats of DJ Danga while sipping on the lounge's signature cocktails!
Halloween Party at The VNYL - 10/31, starts at 8pm
Keep it chic at The VNYL while enjoy the sultry tunes of band Spells & Curses! Later, take a long sip of Black Sclera, the house special, made with Activated charcoal, beet juice and a few secret ingredients that will make your night.
The Devil’s Birthday Bash at The Roof - 10/27, starts at 9pm
Party all night at the Viceroy rooftop before it's too late! On Friday, October 27th at 9pm, bring your edgiest costume and dance along to Chazz Rockwell's trippy mixes. Don't forget to RSVP!