Your Golden Guide To An At-Home Cinco De Mayo Fiesta
Can you even believe it’s May? With the warm NYC weather finally upon us, it’s time to kick off the spring celebrations with a hot and fiery Cinco De Mayo party! This year, why not skip the long restaurant lines and overpriced drinks, and host your own festive get-together? Here we have four easy tips to help you throw a chic and super authentic fiesta!
Set up a taco bar with a variety of tortillas, toppings and healthy proteins like: all-natural freshwater Regal Springs Tilapia, responsibly raised chicken or a low-fat chorizo if you’re really feeling frisky.
From McCarren Hotel & Pool’s delicious kitchen, try out this Spicy Chorizo Tacos recipe!
- 5 pounds fresh chorizo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g Spanish onion – fine diced
- 10 g garlic – smashed with the back of a knife
- 10 g fresh red thai chili – sliced very thin, seeds intact
- 5 sprigs epazote
- 10 g cilantro stem – minced fine
- 2 qts canned whole plum tomatoes – crushed by hand
- 1 cup queso fresco cheese
- Corn tortillas
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup pickled chilies
- ¼ cup Spanish onion – finely minced
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
Set up a self-serve bar with cold beer, a pitcher of margaritas and some non-alcoholic options like sparkling water and fresh fruit juices.
From our lovers at McCarren, here is the super simple, spicy and delicious Margarita recipe that will make all your fiesta dreams come true:
- 1 ½ oz. Pueblo Viejo Tequila
- 3/4 oz. Cointreau
- 3/4 oz. lime juice
- 1/2 oz. red chili agave syrup (blend desired amount of chilies into Agave Syrup to taste and refrigerate)
- Method: Shake all ingredients and double strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish: With whole chili pepper.
While we can all get very creative with our Latin music selects, trust us and take the easy route: Spotify. Check out their party playlist of the day and let the tunes take care of themselves – you’ve got margs to make.
Keep it casual with some fresh flowers and a few colorful paper lanterns and garlands. Plus, make sure to buy some chic disposable tableware from L’Entramise – nobody wants to be stuck washing dishes after a night of partying! If you’re worried about lack of seating, fold up some traditional Mexican blankets on the floor for guests to lounge on and enjoy.